Eye Department was started is 1997 in District Headquarters Hospital Villupuram. It was serving the entire district of Villupuram.
From 2008 it has been shifted to the Villupuram Medical College Hospital and became a referral and teaching hospital for the peripheral hospitals in and around villupuram.
From May 2011 – the Department started functioning with full strength.
|Name of the post
|| No of posts
No of days - All days except Sunday. TIMINGS- 8 AM- 12NOON
No of units - 1
Bed strength – 16
Oculoplasty clinic - ON ALL DAYS
The department has an exclusive Operation theatre for Ophthalmic surgeries with 2 operati0n tables and 2 operating microscopes with television provision for teaching purpose
Surgical management of ocular trauma
OPD Per annum - 30,000
IP Per annum - 1200
- Automated perimetry: for field mapping.
- YAG laser: for managing the posterior capsular opacification after Cataract Surgeries
- Synaptophore for assessment of squint.
- A scan Biometry for IOL power calculation
Recognized for UG teaching in field of ophthalmology as a core syllabus of MBBS program with a sanctioned annual intake of 100 student , Students pursuing MBBS course are posted for a period of 10 wks on rotation for training as a part of their curriculum.
There is well structured orientation & curriculum based teaching where students are given exposure to common clinical eye disease & management.
Training students in Nursing
Exposure to understanding of common eye diseases & eye problems faced by
Visually disabled are given.
Trained to identify early signs of eye disease, PO Care, & operative theatre skills
CME & workshops
1. Clinical Examination of Fundus
2. Ocular infections
3. CME courses for peripherals doctors
4. Training of PMOA’s.
5. Symposium on Cornea,Lens,Retina & Glaucoma
6. CME on LASIK & Occular manifestation of Systemic diseases.
7. Training Programme for 2 weeks on Foldable IOL surgery, given to the Ophthalmologists, Govt. Hospital Tindivanam at GVMC&H.
RESEARCH & PUBLICATIONS
The faculties regularly attend the Regional & All India Conferences to update the current & recent advances in the field.
Gave a lecture on LUXATION OF GLOBE in 2013 TNOA Conference.
Published articles in Resident journal of ophthalmology