The department of Biochemistry is functioning from faculty block of government villupuram medical college. The department offers laboratory and academic services. There is a well equipped under graduate practical lab, research lab, demonstration rooms, chemical preparation room, chemical store room and Ante room. The library with its widest range of books by various biochemists aims at providing a better reference for the faculty and students.
The department imparts basic training to the undergraduates in applied biochemistry, clinical biochemistry and in molecular biology. The total annual intake of first M.B.B.S. students is 100.The course commences in August every year and the university examination will be held in subsequent august. The curriculum fixed by TAMIL NADU DR.MGR MEDICAL UNIVERSITY and prescribed by MCI are followed. The criteria for appearing for university examination is based on norms set by university. The university written examination and practical examination is conducted on the basis of university guidelines. Our department involves the undergraduate medical students in research activities. We had a pass percentage of 86 % for MBBS 2016 – 2017 batch with 19 distinctions and 3 honours. The DMLT pass percentage was 100 %
The department of biochemistry also handling the paramedical courses like BSC optometry ,physician assistant,critical care medicine operation theatre anaesthesia technician ,dialysis technician,cardiac technology ,accident and emergency care and diploma in laboratory technology .
Periodic Academic Activities
The Department is evolving with novel teaching methods using the principles of Competency Based Medical Education and conducts the following in addition to routine Didactic lectures and practical classes
- Students Seminars and Symposia
- Small group Teaching methods (problem based learning,group discussion on case based scenerio
- Horizontal and vertical integrated teaching
- Early Clinical Exposure
- Concept Mapping of Clinical Topics like Inborn Error Metabolism (IBM), Metabolic integration
- Modular Teaching on function test like RFT, LFT, Thyroid Function test.
Teaching faculty pattern:
- GSTM1 null genotype and susceptibility to oral cancer in south Indian population – published in journal – BIOMEDICINE; Vol.30, No:40 pg. 521 – 531.
- The GLN-ARG192 Polymorphism of human paraoxonase 1 gene and the associated phenotype variation is associated with coronary artery disease in south Indian patients – published in journal – journal of evidence based medicine and health care – vol.3/issue79/oct.03,2016
- Association of Gamma-Glutamyl transferase with metabolic syndrome - – published in journal – journal of evidence based medicine and health care – vol.3/issue 100 / Dec.15,2016
- Analytical sensitivity TSH assays By ELISA and ELFA-Published in journel-National-National journal of basic Medical science: April-June 2006: Vol.6Issue.4.
- Correlation of Antioxidant Levels with the Severity of Traumatic Brain Injury-A Systematic Analysis. World Journal of Medical Sciences 9(4):223-226, 2013.
- The clinical and xbiochemical profile of snakebite patients- A hospital based comparative study of envenomed and nonenvenomed victimsInternational Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology ISSN: 2169-3048 Vol. 3 (2), pp. 511-515, June, 2014.
- “Unsteadiness in life predicts doom” - dandy walker variant presenting as late onset ataxia in an adolescent male - a case report. JEMDS 2014; Vol. 3, Issue 03, January 20; Page: 623-626, DOI: 10.14260/jemds/2014/1876
- The clinical and biochemical profile of snakebite patients- A hospital based comparative study of envenomed and nonenvenomed victimsInternational Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology ISSN: 2169-3048 Vol. 3 (2), pp. 511-515, June, 2014.
- Association of Angiotensin-converting Enzyme Gene Insertion/Deletion Polymorphism with Coronary Artery Disease in South Indian Population .International Journal of Scientific Study 2016 page 162. July 2016 , Vol 4 ,Issue 4.
- Clinical utility of creatine kinase and lactate dehydrogenase as severity markers of organophosphorous compound poisoning ejpmr, 2017,4(1), 597-601 ISSN 2394-3211
- Oleander toxicity – the clinical spectrum and mortality predictors: an observational study Internet Journal of Medical Update – e journal vol12-2017.
- Dyslipidemia Could It be a reliable prognostic factor in cirrhosis of liver, an approach to find out by a cross sectional analytical study in a tertiary care hospital, Scholar journal of applied medical sciences 2017volume5 issue 4EPg 1617 to1620
- A study on Omentin-1 and Prostate Specific Antigen in women on treatment for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry.2017 http:// doi.org/10.1007/s12291-017-0723-9
- Association of serum paraoxonase1 phenotypes with activity of serum cholinesterase in acute organophosphorus compound poisoning. Indian Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Research; March 2018: Vol.-7, Issue- 2, P. 356-365
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
HUNT QUIZ Conducted in April 2017, Won by Sushmitha, Madhumitha & Soundarya
CLINICAL LABORATORY SERVICE
The clinical biochemistry laboratory in the hospital is well equipped with state of the art equipments and functions round the clock 24x7.It provides biochemical diagnostic services for In patients, Out Patients and emergency departments attached to medical college & hospital. The lab has adequate manpower operating three shifts. The total number of patients utilizing the lab is increasing every year. The biomedical waste generated are segregated and disposed as per biomedical waste management protocol.
The lab is Quality assured with daily Internal Quality Controls and also participates in EQUA programme of CMC vellore.
Biochemical investigations performed in 24 hrs lab.
Glucose - Fasting,Post Prandial,Random
ICMR Approved Projects:
||ICMR STS Approved Projects
||Serum Gamma Glutamyl Transferase Levels In Metabolic Syndrome
||Adenosine Deaminase Level In Diabetic Retinopathy
||Serum Magnesium And Uric Acid Levels In Pre-Diabetic Patients – A Cross Sectional Study
||Serum magnesium levels in critically ill patients
||Dr. Poonguzhali Gopinath
||Serum uric acid levels in postmenopausal women
||Ramya , A
||Prevalence of hypoalbuminemia among tuberculosis receiving antituberculosis therapy – A cross sectional study.
||Role of serum uric acid levels in geriatric patients with dementia in south Indian population – A case control study.
||Serum magnesium & zinc levels – A predictor of cardiovascular disease in hemodialysis patients.
|Dr. Gunavathi G
||Association of lipid biomarkers with drinking patterns and severity in alcoholic liver disease. A hospital based cohort study.
||Dr. Anithasri A
||Serum magnesium levels- a determiner of Recovery in postoperative patients.
||Dr. K.Tamil Mani
CME Programme Conducted:
- An approach to acid base status on 7th may 2014.
- Update on good laboratory practices’ for II MBBS students on 13th June 2018