DEPARTMENT OF PATHOLOGY
The Department of Pathology in Government Villupuram Medical College was established in 2010. The Department offers laboratory and academic services.
GOVERNMENT VILLUPURAM MEDICAL COLLEGE
The Department has various subsections like Morbid Anatomy, Histopathology, Cytopathology and Clinical pathology. The Clinical Pathology laboratory, situated in the hospital premises, is equipped with Automated cell counter and approximately 700 - 750 investigations are done per day. Cytopathology section serves around 1300 patients per year with Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology, Fluid Cytology and Pap smear studies. Histopathology laboratory is equipped with Leica Automatic tissue processor and about 1600 biopsy and autopsy specimens are processed and reported per year.
Our institute is affiliated to THE TAMIL NADU DR. MGR MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI. Academically we teach 100 undergraduate students per academic year with regular theory and practical classes, conducting seminars at regular intervals as per the syllabus prescribed by THE TAMIL NADU DR. MGR MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI. The first batch of students entered to the department of pathology in October 2011. The museum at the department has the collection of finest specimens enriching knowledge of students. The library with its widest range of books by various authors, aims at providing a better reference for the students.
PERIODIC ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES HELD IN THE DEPARTMENT
GOLD MEDAL EXAMINATION:
- Students Seminar On SHOCK conducted on 03.02 2013
- Students Seminar On ANEMIA conducted on 19.11.2013
- Student seminar on Molecular basis of CANCER conducted on 11.03.2014
- Student seminar on Neoplasia conducted on 10.6.2014
- Student Seminar on Breast pathology conducted on 01.10.2014
- student seminar on leukemias & lymphomas to be conducted on 21.03.2015.
- student seminar on breast pathology proposed.
Second MBBS students conducted on 23.01.2014- won by Mr.Amalan ignatius.
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
1. AgNOR study in gastrointestinal lymphomas - Dr. B. Pushpa. World Applied sciences Journal 27(1):98-
100,2013 ISSN 1818-4952
2. A case of CLL/SLL with rapid courses Dr. B. Pushpa**., Dr. Jeya Shambavi.J* Academic journal of Cancer Research 6(2): 65-68, 2013 ISSN 1995-8943
3. Clincopathological study of nodular hidradenoma- Dr.Gayathiri M.D.,
- CME ON BREAST LESIONS on 17.11.2013
- CME ON FACTS OF BLOOD DONATION on 14.06.2014
- CME ON THYROID PATHOLOGY on 24.08.2014
- Training cum WORKSHOP on "Voluntary Blood Donation for Camp Organizers & Blood Donor Motivators on 20.12.2014.
- CME PROGRAMME ON PANORAMIC VIEW OF THYROID FOR UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS ON 16.11.18 (10 CME credit Points from University and 2 CME points from TNMC)
LIST OF LABORATORY TESTS PERFORMED
CLINICAL PATHOLOGY :-
- BLOOD TESTS
- URINE ANALYSIS
|BILE SALTS/BILE PIGMENTS
a. PLEURAL FLUID
- MOTION ANALYSIS
- SEMEN ANALYSIS
- FLUID CYTOLOGY
b. ASCITIC FLUID
c. BRONCHIAL WASH
d. CEREBROSPINAL FLUID
6. PAP SMEARS
7. FINE NEEDLE ASPIRATION CYTOLOGY
The Department of Pathology has performed
305354 Clinical Pathology investigations,
3697 Histopathology investigations and
1512 Cytopathology investigation during the year 2014
1.100% pass in university theory & practical examinations conducted on Febrauary 2014.
2. 100 % pass in university theory & practical examinations conducted on August 2014