Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
The Department of obstetrics and gynecology started along in 500 bedded medical college hospital 60 bed for OBG with two units along with family welfare unit and CEmONC activities.
Outpatient department :
- Daily Antenatal op
- Daily gynec op
- Daily family planning op
- Postnatal op
- Daily ultra sonogram in op
Around 80-100 out patients per day at present, ante-natal patients are screened regularly and examined routinely so that high-risk cases are identified immediately and treated.
- Cancer screening
- Infertility op
- Adolescent op
- NCD Clinic
Gynec patients are regularly screened for cervical cancer with via villi, colposcopy, PAPS smear and biopsy, if necessary in the OP.
Family planning patients also counsel by anm and counselor. Temporary methods like OCP, condoms and oral pills are given in the OPD. Separate room for scanning for the OP patients.
WORK LOAD in OG Department
PAP smear 210
Via Villi 118
Op Cervix biopsy 16
|Maternity & Child Welfare Officer
Labour room :
15 bedded labour room with 8 labour board of which one is being used for separate septic labor ward. Daily admission is 20-25 per day, with average of 18-20 deliveries.
As it is a referral center, more than 50% are high risk patients who are treated in a separate eclampsia and high-risk rooms.
Around 35% of the total delivery is through LSCS.
Round the clock qualified duty OGcians are available.
Total deliveries 6700
Normal deliveries 4403
Complicated deliveries 5400
USG done 8600
We have separate theatres for elective, obstetric, gynecology and family planning cases, where operations are being conducted on a daily basis except on Sundays.
All emergency cases are done in the emergency OT.
6. Laparoscopic surgeries – sterilization, hysterectomy and cystectomy.
- Elective and emergency caesarean section
- Emergency hysterectomies
- Elective vaginal and abdominal hysterectomy
- Emergency and elective laprotomies
- All female Family planning procedures
8. We have laser and cryo also available.
- Hysteroscopy examinations are also done.
- Training for other doctors, staff nurses and ANM.
- CEmONC training
- Family planning surgeries training
- Laparoscopic sterilization training
- Colposcopy training
- Ultra sonogram training
- Via villi training
We also teach 3 batches of MBBS students.
OP Classes Daily
Seminars , Symposiums bimonthly
Weekly Assessment Sessions on Saturdays.
- Separate Ante-natal and post-natal wards with 30 beds.
- Separate family planning and gynec wards.
- We also treat DAL patients in ICU ward.
Janani suraksha scheme for post-natal mother
We also do cases under CMCHS schemes.
Thus, it is evident that the OG department has also become an integral part of Villupuram Medical College and Hospital.