DEPARTMENT OF MICROBIOLOGY, GOVERNMENT VILLUPURAM MEDICAL COLLEGE, VILLUPURAM.
Our department was started in March 2010. Initially there were only 2 tutors, 4 laboratory technicians, 3 attendants and laboratory services namely blood, urine, pus, sputum cultures, sputum for acid fast bacilli, gram staining and Widal test were carried out. Later on our center became the centre for surveillance of diseases like Chikungunya, Japanese encephalitis and dengue in September 2013 and kits were supplied from NIV, Pune. In May 2012, 1 Professor, 1 Associate professor, 1 Assistant Professor and 1 Tutor, were posted. In October 2011 undergraduate students came to our department and academic activities began. Three lectures are given per week and they attend two practical classes per week. Seminars are conducted.
- HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT.
The infection control committee was formed in November 2013 with the HOD’s of Medicine, Surgery, pediatrics, O&G and Anaesthesia as members. Other members are Nursing Superintendent, infection control nurse and pharmacist. The Dean is the chairman of the committee and HOD microbiology is the member secretary. Operation theatres of our hospital and other Hospitals of Villupuram district are checked for sterility, quarterly.
Biomedical waste management training was given for staff nurses, laboratory technicians, Hospital workers, attendants and sweepers in January 2014. Biomedical waste management rounds are conducted to check whether segregations of waste is done properly and instructions are given to follow universal precautions.
H1N1 vaccine was given for the staff in April 2014 and fogging operations for mosquito control was undertaken in May 2012. Vaccination for Hepatitis B for the staff was given. Antibiotic sensitivity pattern is formulated every month.
Lectures were given by the associate professors in the CMEs on the topics like HIV, Dengue, H1N1 virus and Antibiotic resistance.
||No of Faculty
- Blood collection with universal precautions.
2.Performing ELISA test for Dengue, Chikungunya and JE
- Bacteriology Culture Work
4. ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES
UG course MBBS
Microbiology is part of the MBBS curriculum affiliated to the Tamil Nadu Dr.MGR Medical University. The department imparts theoretical and practical training to the undergraduates. A maximum of 100 students are trained every year in microbiology. Short term projects under ICMR are carried out during summer vacation.
- Prevalence of Candida albicans in HIV Patients and the Determination of Susceptibility to Fluconazole in Villupuram District.
- Prevalence of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) among the Clinical Isolates of Patients Attending Govt. Villupuram Medical College Hospital.
6.Diagnostic activitiesLaboratory Services
- Around 14375 specimens are received in our diagnostic laboratory every year.
- Samples received at central laboratory are processed at microbiology diagnostic laboratory.
- Samples are collected at the bed side as and when required for the patients.
Samples Received at the Microbiology Laboratory
Blood, Urine, Stool, Body fluids-pleural fluid, CSF, sputum, Gastric lavage, Branco alveolar lavage, pus, discharge from drain tubes, indwelling catheter tips, Wound swab, throat swab, anal & rectal swabs, vaginal swab, nasal swab, ear swab, Nasopharyngeal swabs for H1N1 (collected & sent to KIPM, Guindy, Chennai), Scrapings and Clippings for Mycological identification, blood bags, operation theatre swabs for sterility test.
INVESTIGATIONS DONE IN THE DEPT. OF MICROBIOLOGY
Processing of Samples
Modified AFB staining For Cryptosporidium, Cyclospora & Isospora
Lactophenol cotton blue staining
India Ink preparation for Cryptococcus
Saline & Iodine wet mounts of Stool sample for ova and cyst
KOH mount for fungus
Hanging drop method for bacterial motility
All the specimens are subjected to microbial culture as requested by the clinician and Antibiotic susceptibility tests are done for all the bacterial culture positive isolates.
Widal test (rapid and tube agglutination tests)
MSAT for Leptospirosis
IgM ELISA for
IgM ELISA & Dengue NS1 Antigen ELISA for
Card test for screening HBsAg & HCV
- Infection control in general hospital
- Development of antibiotic policy for our institution
- Sterility check of Operation theatres for our institute as well as other Govt. and private institutions
- Monitoring of biomedical waste disposal and training of health care providers in Govt. hospitals.
- Maintenance of bacterial and fungal culture for research and diagnostic activities.
- Purchase of elisa washer,elisa reader with computer as a part of upgradation of SSH FOR JAPANESE ENCEPAHALITIS.
- Inauguration of red ribbon club in 26.08.2014
- Training of medical & paramedical staff of sentinel surveillance hospital for Japanese Encephalitis.